Sunday, October 21, 2007

Learning to stretch

It is Sunday afternoon and I have been out working in the yard all day. I hope that my body can move in the morning! It has been warm and sunny and perfect weather for yard work.

My oldest son went on his 5th grade camping trip last week. He was so hesitant to go but finally, the day before the money was due decided he would go. He came home dirty and tired and very happy. He was quite successful at camp and slept away from family for two nights, made new friends and showed what an outdoorsman he is. He came home wishing that he could do it again. There is only one 5th grade camping trip, hopefully he will feel that it went well enought to go to a sleep away summer camp.

I have parent/teacher conferences in the morning with A and J's teachers. I always look forward to these meetings. I just really like to be in touch with the teachers to know what is really going on. I am hoping that A's teacher can help me out with his organizational skills at school. I will meet with S's teacher on Friday morning.

I also will start a new job tomorrow. I have accepted a position with a child psychiatrist. This was a very difficult decision for me and I have taken about 7 months to make it.

This Dr. first called me last spring to ask me if I would consider a position with him. He wanted to talk to me because he likes the way that I interact with patients/parents and I have allot of practical as well as proffessional knowlege about ADHD and ASD. Despite that fact that I needed something closer to home or with hours that allowed me to be home earlier in the evenings, I said no. I wasn't ready for the big step in that direction. He elected to put the position on hold until after the summer and rethink things then. I talked to him about a month ago and he again asked me if I was interested. I told him no since I had just started to work for the family practice. He called me again after I had resigned my position with the family practice. He had an applicant that was possibly a good fit but wanted to talk to me one more time. I sat and thought it over, listed pros and cons and accepted the position for 16 hours a week. He has guaranteed that I will be home between 5:15 and 5:30 and if not my schedule will change to make sure. He even put this in writing! He is paying me very well, and I will have a nice office and very helpful staff.

I have to admit that this is not what I thought that I would be doing at this point in my career. But, it is good to stretch and try new things and grow.

I am looking forward to tomorrow.

1 comment:

BigMama said...

I hope the new job is working out well. It certainly sounds like an interesting turn of events for you!

I also hope the conferences with the teachers went well. Those are always so helpful!